The authors report 2 cases of cardiorespiratory compromise in 3-year-old twin girls that occurred after they were exposed for an estimated 12 to 18 hours to a faulty furnace producing high levels of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced as a by-product of incomplete combustion. Carbon monoxide poisoning accounts for approximately 3500 deaths in the United States annually.11,22 Carbon monoxide in exhaust fumes from motor vehicles accounts for most deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning; however, poorly functioning heating systems, inhaled smoke, and propane-operated forklifts also can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.33,44 We report 2 cases of severe cardiorespiratory compromise in 3-year-old identical twin girls that occurred after they were exposed for an estimated 12 to 18 hours to a faulty furnace producing high levels of carbon monoxide....

You do not currently have access to this content.